Thursday, August 6, 2009

Pretend Parenting, Part II ... The Night Shift.

The parents' bedroom is beautiful and has one of those huge, king sized beds with an abundance of pillows and a down comforter -- the type that you see in a movie and just want to crawl into. I could have almost convinced myself that I was staying in a posh hotel until 2:22am.

When the door to your "master suite" creaks open at 2:22am, you know it's not good news. I got myself to roll over, open my eyes, and look towards the door (literally commanding myself "Must... open... eyes...") and I got to handle my first bed wetting. Fortunately, the king size bed was roomy enough that he could crawl into bed with me and let me wait to change the bed in the morning. This was after I pulled him out of bed at 11pm, leading his zombie-like self to the bathroom, balancing him in front of the toilet, and instructing him to pee (he didn't bother to aim).

Today I'm feeling frustrated because, regardless of how many special activities we do, the kids still fight incessantly, have attitudes, and "are bored." I know that's a familiar line for all parents. They've been pestering to do the Easter egg hunt all day (although their eggs are quickly diminishing, as they lose eggs for misbehaving), so now that I've taken my 15 minute sanity break, I guess we'll go have an Easter egg hunt.

2 comments:

stacey evonne said...

Last summer when I was watching a little boy for a few days, I woke up every morning at 5 am with him leaning over me, blood dripping from his nose. Apparently allergies and heat=new pillows and sheets every morning.

The kids I babysit for have really been into the outside activities lately; water balloons, sprinkler/slip n' slide, bikes/scooters, bubbles, and CHALK. I'm telling you, for some reason chalk makes normal games like tic-tac-toe REALLY entertaining! oh and if you have any sort of fountains near you, pack a picnic and go play in the water for a few hours. Getaways from the house makes the time pass much more quickly :)

Have fun and good luck! ;)

Afton said...

The last part of this post, about the arguing and fighting, are giving me a nervous twitch.