Friday, June 19, 2009

This and that, but mostly that

I suppose if I'm updating, I have to at least mention camp. It's going really, really well. My ten kiddos are fairly high functioning and have endless energy, but they're a lot of fun. They keep us volunteers laughing, that's for sure! I have an amazing group of volunteers and I am looking forward to next week! I am MUCH more at ease this weekend than last. I'll share more stories later. I will share one quote of the day, though:

On a hike behind St. Scholastica, which took us through the cemetery and by a statue of Jesus (we are a Catholic school!):

Camper, who had run ahead, SCREAMED for all to hear: "I SEE JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

What I was more interested in telling you all about is my new summer obsession: frozen bananas.

Last week I ended up with an abundance of perfectly-ripe bananas, so I skewered and froze four of them. Inspired by a Food Network excerpt on a cafe that sells all kinds of chocolate covered bananas, I rolled/spooned/spread melted dark chocolate on two of them and left two of them plain (Unfortunately, I didn't have a foot-deep bucket of melted chocolate to dip my bananas in).

They are delicious! I am proud to say that the Choc Bananas have been a satisfying replacement for ice cream the last couple of nights (the frozen banana tastes remarkably like ice cream, actually!). And this morning I enjoyed a plain frozen banana as a snack, which was perfect since I was short on fruit. I think I'm going to start doing this more - it's a great way to have fruit on hand and quite tastey! I want to try mashing a banana and freezing it and see if you could eat with a spoon.

One tip from the show is cutting off the stem of the banana and then skewering it before you peel it/freeze it, which prevents the banana from splitting.

Yum, yum!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Oooh! That sounds good--I may have to try that...when I have bananas that are over-ripe...which never happens around here because they go like hotcakes. (How's that for a run-on sentence??)

Kristina said...

That sounds SO good. Chocolate and banana is one of my favorite combinations EVER.
Also, I got your letter! I do want to hear about London, but it was great to ready it anyway :)