Friday, June 12, 2009

Two Domestic Tales

1) The other day I got:

*An all natural, Kashi frozen entree (Lemongrass Coconut Chicken -- yum!)
*TWO pints of fresh blueberries
*TWO individual serving cups of ice cream - (with ice cream, portion control is a must for me)

...all for $5! Clip, clip, clip those coupons, I tell ya!

2) I love my new apartment, but the downside is that I have to pay for laundry again. I'd been saving up dirty clothes for two weeks, just to make sure I got my money's worth. The washing machine is $0.75, so I went down with $2.25 and two (large) loads. I go to put my first load in the dryer when I realize that -- duh! The dryer is $0.75, too. So I only have enough quarters to dry one load.

I consider that this might be a good time to introduce myself to my neighbors, which I've been meaning to do. So I muster up some courage and knock on two doors (rehearsing how I'm going to ask a complete stranger for a quarter), but no one answers.

I check the bottoms of all my purses and bags, but of course, today, no loose coins are to be found. Finally, I pick up a 10-pence coin from London that looks remarkably like a quarter in size and shape. Feeling only slightly fraudulent, I head down to the laundry room. Alas, those little coin-operated machines are smarter than we think and rejects my 10-pence (guess I'll keep it for my scrapbook, afterall!).

Finally, I decied that I will just leave my wet clothes in the dryer and wait to add my second (large) load of laundry and dry them together. That's the college student, spirit!

I go and get my clothes out of the dryer awhile later and find that all of my clothes are about 80% dry... which means 20% damp.

Sigh.

So I "floor-dried" (no clothes lines here!) my clothing. Classy!

P.S. London was AMAZING!

P.P.S. Camp starts on Monday. I'm prepared (material wise), but terrified. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Afton said...

That is where the phrase "giving it the old college try" came from. Seriously, lack of funds inspires all kinds of creativity, if you can call it that.

So do you have roomies, or is this place all your own?

I love the Kashi lemongrass chicken meal...love all those whole grains. I hardly ever get it though because it's so pricey, but when I see it on sale, I pick up one or two for my lunches.

Senia said...

I do have a roommate (who I'm very excited to live with!), but she's not moving in until July -- so we won't officially live together until Sept. Otherwise, I totally would have raided her piggy bank. That's what roommates are for, right?!

I can't wait to try the Kashi meal. They are expensive, which is why I was so excited to get it FOR FREE with my coupon! :-)