Tuesday, February 28, 2012

One of the things I love most about being with Kevin is that we have a blast doing normal, everyday things together. We cook (and clean up!) together, which is one of our favorite things to do. And we talk about vegetables... a lot.

While cooking is definitely Kevin's forte, I've been the designated baker. This last weekend, per his request, we made a cake together so I could teach him a thing or two about baking. Plus, we both happen to be quite fond of cake. Kevin claims he's had minimal baking success in the past, although I'm fairly sure he's just trying to boost my ego since he is already so good at everything else).


We agreed upon a Hummingbird Cake, which is said to be a cross between banana bread (minus the bread) and carrot cake (minus the cake).

If you bake a cake with an engineer, ... You will give him the grunt work, such as fitting the bottom of the cake pan with parchment paper.

He will take his assignment very seriously and decide he needs a tape measure:


After a tutorial and demonstration in layer one, Kevin braved the frosting for layer two (and did quite well!)



Tah dah!




5 comments:

Afton said...

Please tell me the tape measure was not a set up photo. I love it.

Senia said...

I promise you, it was not!

Kat said...

I'm impressed- Looks delicious. Wishing you could mail me a piece! Glad that you've found someone to share all the things you love with Senia.

Heather said...

You are hilarious. :) I got the "if you give a mouse a cookie reference." Love you!

Samantha said...

Love that you put photos on your blog - very cute!