Saturday, April 21, 2012

Breakfast of the Month Club

No, I do not really participate in a Breakfast of the Month Club, but it does sound like a great idea.

This blog post is mostly to share my newfound love:



Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut oats, in the crockpot overnight. This is where magic happens.

When it came time to eat this stuff, I had to enforce some serious self-discipline and portion control. And we're talking oatmeal, not a pint of B&J or Salted Caramel Brownies (which are also delicious).


And they're so easy! All you do is:
-Fly to Portland, visit Bob's Red Mill factory, and purchase steel cut oats from bulk pins. Or go to your local supermarket.
-Put in 1 part oats to 4 cups liquid. I did water with a splash of skim milk)
-Add some salt, dump whatever spices strike your fancy (might I recommended cinnamon, vanilla, and fresh grated nutmeg?), add some sweetener (I did a splash of agave syrup which was more than enough)
-Plug in your crockpot (very critical), set it to low, and try to sleep.
-Suffer from insomnia at 5am, check on crockpot, stir, smell, and smile... try to fall back to sleep.

IMPORTANT: When eating, do not douse Steel Cut Oats in butter, brown sugar, raisins, or other distractors. I will allow you to add a splash of milk. But, at least for your first bite, taste it in all it's pure, healthful deliciousness.

3 comments:

Afton said...

Oh no. Don't they carry Bob's Red Mill in Minnesota? Darn. You will just have to come back here and visit once a month. Did you learn on your Bob's Red Mill tour that their steel cut oats won the Golden Spurtle in the National Oatmeal Competition in Scotland? Did you buy the Myrtle Spurtle from the Bob's Red Mill store? :)
Personally, I enjoy the 10 Grain hot cereal which I can purchase by bulk at Winco.

Heather said...

Great post, Senia! Very clever and fun-makes me want to dash over to Bob's right now! :) Love you!

Kat said...

What's the difference between steel cut oats and rolled oats? Do you think they would both work? This looks so yummy! I made a tasty baked oatmeal the other morning and would love to try this...