Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Other Side of April

Well, the trip was a blast. We saw a lot of places from my childhood, ate a lot of good food, and (he) met a lot of important people. It meant so much to me to see him with my family. There was a moment where I was sandwiched between my Dad and Kevin on the couch and everything just felt right, being surrounded by the two most important guys in my (worldly) life.

Obviously, our relationship grew and deepened - how can it not on a trip like this?

A few highlights:

-Playing an old-school version of Wall Ball (The real version. Not the self-sacrificing version where you throw a ball at a human target) at my elementary school

-A mutual appreciation for exploring health food stores and Bob's Red Mill. I'm glad we can be whole-grain-dorks together.

-Chocolate Beet Cake (You rock, Afton!)

-Quotes from Hannah on Easter:
Hannah, whispering to me: "Senia, when did you get your boyfriend?"
Me: "Hmm, November?"
Hannah: "Oh. ... When did you name him Kevin?"

-Many episodes of hysterical laughter with my parents and family. He definitely has a better understanding of why I am the way I am! I am realizing more and more that I am certainly my Mother's daughter.

There were of course many, many other highlights, far too many to list.

One of the greatest parts is that we were able to be a "normal" couple for 5 days. We were able to escape our reality a little bit and just focus on the great relationship we have. There was a sense of anonymity, which was refreshing. When we ran into a family friend at the grocery store, I was able to happily introduce him as my boyfriend, without fear of them judging him, me, or us. There was no pity for him or surprise or bittersweet emotions.

But of course reality was waiting for us Tuesday evening. The last few days have been tough, but we've made it through so far. He has been tremendously supportive of me in the last few weeks, especially through emotional goodbyes and hard transitions.

And, so, on we go...

1 comment:

Afton said...

I made the highlight list!!!!!