Sunday, December 14, 2008

Snow from West to Midwest

So yesterday, before our big "blizzard" hit (this is NOT the DQ Royal Treat), I was able to do some fun stuff. Today there is a lot of blowing snow and really poor visibility, so I'm nestled inside. I could attach a picture, but that would involve getting blasted with snow as I walk out the front door. Just imagine white. Lots and lots of white (it is pretty). We'll see what tomorrow brings, weather-wise. For once, I hope school is NOT cancelled because I want to get these finals out of the way. Shoveling my car out with my collapsable snow shovel (that doesn't appear to "lock" into extension) will be interesting.


Yesterday morning my friends Kacy, Cassie, and I volunteered at the Kiwanis Pancake Breakfast with Santa. We served up pancakes and sausages for about three hours.


The rest of the afternoon I hemmed and hawed over whether or not we should cancel our OT Christmas party. They were predicting a huge winter storm this weekend and were advising against travel. It was supposed to be at a students' in-laws' "barn" (Ha. More on that later), and they had gone all out decorating the place for us, so I would have felt horrible canceling it. Not to mention the fact that we've been talking this Christmas party since- literally - the first week of school! After several hours of my phone becoming "Grand Central Station," we decided to have the party anyway.

This "barn"... was not a barn at all. Well, they claim it was three years ago, but you would never have believed it. I do believe they said it was **14,000** square feet (this is not a typo) and was FIVE STORIES. There were several bedrooms, a "loft" where there son lived, two bars, a basketball court, a weight room, numerous bathrooms, a kitchen, a big dining room, a (soon-to-be) movie theater... it was absurd. Here are a couple of pictures.




A modest little gym.





















Yes, they have a revolving door. And on the far left, that's a HUGE picture of Ashley (my OT friend) and her fiance after they got engaged.










The beautiful kitchen. And they don't even live here!













The pictures don't even do it justice. It was insane! Overall, I'm really glad we ended up having it (the weather wasn't even too bad last night- just a little slick). We had delicious food (college students CAN cook!) and did a gift exchange.




I lucked out and got an adorable cookie/bowl set. Polka Dot bowls are my FAVORITE! I can't wait to use the bowls. I think I was so attached, no one had the heart to steal them.










Part of our OT class (the ones brave enough to brave the elements)

Time to grab a cup of tea and try to study for finals. I make no guarantees.

4 comments:

Afton said...

Wait, are you writing this from MN or OR/WA? We are having a blustery, blizzardy day that has nothing to do with Dairy Queen too! I did go out to take a few pictures and came in 2 minutes later after my face started to hurt. It's in the 20's and getting colder. Brrrrr!

Senia said...

Oh, Afton. You should know better than to talk to me about 20 degree weather. Tomorrow it's supposed to be a high of 5 below, with wind chills in the -30's.

But I'll hand it to ya- 20 IS cold for WA/OR!

See you soon!

stacey evonne said...

looks like the OT party was an overall success despite the blizzardy weather, (or like the weathermen here say: ARCTIC BLAST 2008!!) hahaha :) ...only TWO DAYS!!

Afton said...

Yes, but our cold is a moist cold and yours is dry...completely different. :)

Anyway, it's the wind that gets ya. Nasty.

If it makes you feel better, I remember in Alaska getting excited when it was a high of 0 because to me, that was warm. At 20 I thought I might want to ditch the coat!