Sunday, October 26, 2008

My Not-So-Favorite Blizzard

... the Dairy Queen Royal Treat, not the weather. Minnesota weather isn't THAT insane.

I enjoy free things. And I enjoy creamy soft serve ice cream blended with a variety of sugar mix-ins. And I enjoy getting Happy Birthday e-mails from random companies. So I joined the Blizzard Fan Club.

Don't judge me!

Today my friend Lisa and I went and redeemed my "Buy One, Get One Free" birthday coupon. The closest DQ is the traditional, walk-up one where they only serve ice cream. Needless to say, they will be closing soon for the season. We brought our Blizzards back home to enjoy in the comfort of my nice, (semi) warm house.

Usually when ordering desserts I follow The Chocolate Rule. I'm sure I've missed out on many delicious desserts because of defaulting to chocolate, but it usually doesn't fail me. Today, however, I had already made up my mind that I was going to try the Pumpkin Pie Blizzard, which I've been seeing ads for on TV. While it's not chocolate, I am a fan of the seasonal pumpkin dessert.

I was a little disappointed. Not disappointed enough not to eat all of it, but it wasn't the pumpkin-intense dessert I had been anticipating for the last 10 days, since I got my birthday coupon in my inbox. (And yes, I really have been anticipating my Blizzard all this time. Obsessive? Perhaps.).

"Soft serve ice cream blended with chunks of real Pumpkin Pie?" Not quite. While there was a nice hint of pumpkin and nutmeg (even sprinkled on top- DQ is moving up in the world!), no where in my 12 oz cup did I find anything that even resembled a chunk of my Grandma Nelson's pumpkin pie. The chunks of "crust" -- while maybe attempting to replicate a graham cracker crust -- reminded me more of rye krisps, or some weird cracker I've had but couldn't put my finger on. OH- maybe those hard little "biscuits" you get on flights?

Perhaps my expectations were too high.

Or perhaps I'm overanalyzing my Blizzard.

Or perhaps it's a combination of these two AND that I should be doing homework instead.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Ding ding ding! Winner!

3 comments:

stacey evonne said...

I too, have tried the pumpkin pie blizzard before. And I agree--not quite as good as it sounds. BUT, last night I ate pumpkin pie cheesecake at The Cheesecake Factory and it was every bit as delicious as one might imagine. light. creamy. melt-in your mouth, almost as good as chocolate, delicious. :) Have you tried the pumpkin pie ice cream from cold stone too? I think it fits in somewhere between the DQ blizzard and the heavenly cheesecake...

Afton said...

Senia, listen to me closely...
You can NEVER over-analyze a blizzard. Your analysis sounds very good and should be posted for all to see so they are not misled by the pumpkin pie blizzard. Before you go back to your chocolate rule, which is a good one, let me suggest the peppermint chip blizzard that will probably be out the day after Thanksgiving. Vanilla ice cream with bits of broken candy cane AND chocolate pieces. Ummm, it's delicious.

All this talk of cold minty chocolaty dessert treats is reminding me of the incredible minty ice cream dessert I had at a friends a while back and the need for me to get the recipe!

Later...

Heather said...

I agree with Afton--you can never over-analyze any dessert (particularly one that isn't laced with chocolate.) A blizzard still sounds good, though...Also, I think it is really funny that the DQ closes in MN for the winter season.